The Canadian Insurance Claims Manager Association (CICMA) was first established in 1952 as an organization to allow claims managers to:
- Promote and enhance the image and general welfare of the General Insurance industry in the matters pertaining to the settlement of claims.
- Develop harmonious relations amongst those people engaged in the direction of or the investigation and adjustment of claims.
- Exchange information and discuss matters of common interest.
- Promote and maintain a high standard of ethics in the handling of general insurance claims.
- Further such claims administration as will result in just and proper settlement of meritorious claims.
- Promote arbitration or mediation in the resolution of claims.
In order to promote the arbitration process as a cost effective way to resolve inter-company disputes, the CICMA is also directly responsible for the administration of the Canadian Inter-Company Arbitration Agreement.