Ontario Chapter - Open to: members.
Helen D.K. Friedman
Partner | Kitchener-Waterloo
Helen provides her clients with value, innovation and a wealth of experience in a practice focused on the defence of first-party insurance claims and strategic risk management. Helen has built trusted industry relationships representing insurers by providing sound technical advice in statutory accident benefits, coverage disputes, litigation and life and disability claims before the courts, regulatory tribunals, private arbitrations, mediations and across the boardroom table. She is a leader in Miller Thomson’s insurance industry practice. Helen has been counsel on industry-leading decisions establishing precedents in the areas of catastrophic impairment, consent for examinations, collateral benefit setoff, limitation periods, medical/rehabilitation limits, fraudulent claims and insurance reserves. An active member of her community, Helen has had the privilege of holding leadership positions and is the past chair of the Grand River Hospital Foundation, Conestoga College and the Zonta Club of Kitchener-Waterloo.
Professional achievements and leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Insurance Law, 2014-2021; Personal Injury Litigation, 2017-2021
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Personal Injury, 2017; Litigation – Commercial Insurance, 2018-2020
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: Insurance, 2020
- Osgoode Certificate in Regulatory Compliance and Legal Risk Management for Financial Institutions, Osgoode Hall Law School/York University, 2018
Bar admissions & education
- B.A. (honours), McGill University, 1983
- LL.B., Queen’s University, 1986
- Ontario Bar, 1988